HCPS Microsoft Student Advantage
Hillsborough County Public Schools (HCPS) is excited to announce the Microsoft Student Advantage program. Because of HCPS’s enterprise agreement with Microsoft, students are able to download and install Microsoft Office ProPlus desktop applications on their home computers for FREE!
Note to Parents and Students
This entitlement provides students access to the commercially available Microsoft software products. The software is the same Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more similar to a purchase from your local retail store. As such, the district’s content filters and Internet security services are not associated with your home computers or personal devices.
Please note that Hillsborough County Public Schools is providing the latest version of Microsoft Office to align with the certification training available to our students. At this time the latest versions for the certification is Office 2016 for Windows computers. When you are at home what you install on your Windows computer will not have the calendar year, and will automatically update to the latest version. If you are using a Mac at home the current version is Office for Mac 2016.
Who is eligible?
Any student whose primary affiliation is "student". Full-time staff members who are taking classes are not eligible at this time.
What happens when a student graduates or withdraws from HCPS?
Once a student has left the district, their Microsoft Office ProPlus subscription will end. Students may enroll in other available consumer or commercial offers. Many colleges have the same availability for students to get Microsoft Office while a student at the college.
What software can the student download?
Eligible students are able to download Microsoft Office ProPlus applications on up to 5 PC’s or Macs, andup to 5 tablets including iPads). These applications include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Skype for Business, OneNote*, Access*, and Publisher*.
*Publisher and Access available on PC’s only, OneNote is available for download for other platforms.
Download and Installation Instructions
Microsoft Student Advantage allows a student to download and install Microsoft Office 2016 on up to 5 computers at their home. Below are the instructions to complete this download and installation.
- Verify that your home computer has an active internet connection and Windows 7 (or higher) or Apple OS 10.5.8 (or higher).
- Navigate to https://portal.office.com
- Where it says to "Sign in with your organization account" enter your username in the format email@example.com where 9999999 is your 7-digit student number.
- Click in the "Password" field, and your web browser will automatically redirect you to a special log-in site. Retype your username if necessary and use your standard district password that is used for the student portal. Click the "Sign In" button.
- You are now logged in to Office 365, which provides access to download and install Microsoft Office software. Depending on your login you may see an option to:
- "Install Office on more devices" where you can then click options to install Office on a PC or Mac or on a smartphone or an iPad. If you see this option select the one appropriate to the device you want to install Office on. Or…
- "Install the latest version of Office" with a link below if you would like to "Review System Requirements". When you are ready, click the "Install" button and the installation will automatically take place. Follow the on-screen instructions and you will have the Microsoft Office software installed.
- After the installation takes place, you should be able to start Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Office applications from wherever you would normally start your applications.
- The first time that you launch one of the Office applications you will be asked to "sign in" again using the username and password you used previously
- If you want to deactivate the software from a PC that is no longer working or in use, you can click the “Deactivate” button from the website where you completed the install. For Mac, iPad, iPhone and Android phones follow the instructions on that device to uninstall an application.
For questions about the download and installation process, please call
(813) 744-6673 between 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Monday to Friday.