External Administrative Selection Process
Target Audience: The target audience is any person with Educational Leadership Certification who would like to apply for Assistant Principal or Principal Vacancies in Hillsborough County Public Schools. This process is strictly for school based leadership positions.
Administrative Selection Application Timeline
External Applicants (Non HCPS employees) you must follow the steps listed:
To be considered for the Fall Administrative Selection Process, the Online Employment Application for external candidates (STEP 1) must be completed and received by the Application Center. You will also complete an Essay Application (STEP 2).
Your HPP Essay Application, two Leadership References and your most recent yearly evaluation must be received before you can be considered for a position. Completing an application will afford you consideration, but does not guarantee you an interview or that you will be admitted to the screening process for the Administrative Pool.
Steps in the Process
- Application Review –Leadership Development, Human Resources and Professional Standards
- Administrative Screenings for Experienced Administrators
(Internal and External Candidates with a minimum of 3 years of previous experience)
- Applicants notified of acceptance into Future Leaders Academy or the Administrative Pool
If you are employed outside of the HCPS district, have educational leadership on your State of Florida Teaching Certificate and you would like to apply for school administrative positions you must follow the steps listed.
STEP-1: Complete the Online Employment Application
- Complete the online employment application. Click on the link to go to the online application page. https://www.applitrack.com/sdhc/onlineapp/_application.aspx?starting=true
- Click on the “Create Account“ Tab - If you have not already done so, you will need to create an account and password.
STEP-2: Complete the Essay Application
- After you submit your online employment application please email Gregory.Basham@sdhc.k12.fl.us to receive your Essay Application.
To enter the school-based administrative pool, a candidate must participate in the HCPS Administrative Selection Process and successfully pass the screening.
In order to prepare, candidates should review the competency rubric, specifically the column titled FLA. Questions, reference forms, role plays will be based on these competencies.
Interviews and exit assessments will take place face-to-face for all candidates.
Candidates who have served as Assistant Principals or Principals for three years in another district are expected to go through the selection process but may be waived from the FLA program. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on previous experience and their ability to meet the competencies during the screening process.
For additional information or clarification about any step of the process, please contact:
Greg Basham, Supervisor of Hillsborough Principal Pipeline at (813) 272-4110
Tricia McManus, Asst. Superintendent of Educational Leadership at (813) 272-4877