Internal Administrative Selection Process
Target Audience: The target audience is any person with Educational Leadership Certification who would like to apply for Assistant Principal or Principal Vacancies in Hillsborough County Public Schools. This process is strictly for school based leadership positions.
Administrative Selection Application Timeline
Information Sessions will be held at the Instructional Services Center 2920 North 40th Street, Tampa, Florida, 33605.
All applicants must attend a mandatory information session even if the applicant applied in the past.
- Applications will be emailed to candidates who attend the information meetings.
- Applications must be completed and are due by June 1, 2017 to be eligible for our next Future Leaders Academy cohort.
- Reference addresses, Essays, Evaluation and Summary must be submitted with your application by June 1, 2017
- Leadership References are due by 4:00 pm June 22, 2017
- Completing an application will afford you consideration, but does not guarantee you will be admitted to the screening process for the Administrative Pool
|Application Review – Leadership Development, Human Resources and Professional Standards||Information Sessions|
|Administrative Screenings for Experienced Administrators
(Internal and External Candidates with a minimum of 3 years of previous experience)
|Administrative Screenings for Internal Applicants
(No previous experience or less than 3 full years)
|August 28 – 30, 2017|
|Applicants notified of acceptance into Future Leaders Academy||Week of September 4, 2017|
|Cohort 12 Orientation - Future Leaders Academy||October 2, 2017|
Advertisements for Internal Candidates for the Administrative Selection Process will take place in the following ways:
- “All teacher” email
- Posted in school “Internal” by school administration
- Posted in the Administrative Bulletin (Found on the Employee Tab of District Website)
To enter the school-based administrative pool, a candidate must participate in the HCPS Administrative Selection Process. This process takes place both in the fall and the spring.
Internal Applicants (Current Employees):
If you are a current teacher in our district, have Educational Leadership on your certificate and would like to become an assistant principal, you must complete the following four steps to continue with the selection process.
STEP-1: You must update your Employee Space Profile.
- Go to your "Employee Space"
- Click on “My Profile”
- Review your profile to ensure it is fully updated. This includes: Employment History, Achievements, Credentials (MOST CRITICAL: Ed Leadership Certification validated and entered) and skills
- If your profile is not fully updated you must complete a Profile Update Form. Click here to get complete directions on how to download, complete and submit the Profile Update Form to the Applications Center.
STEP - 2: You MUST attend a Mandatory Information Session
- The application process has changed. You must attend one of the information sessions to be eligible to apply.
STEP - 3: Gather and complete required documents/information
In anticipation of the online application period you should gather/complete the items listed below. All of these documents will be turned in at the same time.
- Application Essays will be sent to potential applicants after an information session is attended.
- PDF file of your most recent Performance Evaluation (Available on Employee Space.)
- PDF file of your most recent Instructional Evaluation Score Summary (Available on Employee Space)
- Names and Email Addresses of 2 Reference Contacts (One reference MUST be completed by the current Principal/Supervisor. The applicant’s current principal must have a minimum of 6 months working with the applicant and have also observed the applicant formally at least once in order to complete this reference. If the applicant has worked with their current Principal for less than six months, a former Principal is acceptable. The other reference must be from another Principal/Supervisor (including Assistant Principal) within the last five years.)
STEP - 4: Complete Online Application in Employee Space (Attach all Documents to the posting)
Once you have confirmed that your profile has been updated and you have attended an information session you will be able to complete the HPP FLA Cohort 12 application in Employee Space.
In order to prepare, candidates should review the competency rubric, specifically the column titled FLA. Questions, reference forms, role plays will be based on these competencies.
Once accepted into the pool, candidates will take part in Future Leader Academy which is a 6-month preparation program. After successful completion of the program, candidates must pass the Exit Screening before being placed in the Administrative Pool.
Candidates who have served as Assistant Principals or Principals for three years in another district are expected to go through the selection process but may be waived from the FLA program. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on previous experience and their ability to meet the competencies during the screening process.
For additional information or clarification about any step of the process, please contact:
Tricia McManus, Asst. Superintendent of Educational Leadership at (813) 272-4877
Greg Basham, Supervisor of Hillsborough Principal Pipeline at (813) 272-4110