Hillsborough Choice Options
Choice Hardship allows parents and legal guardians, with a documented hardship, an opportunity to submit a request for a school that is capped for School Choice. Note: Requests are not automatic. Choice Hardship is limited and only available under extreme (documented) hardships. Transportation is not provided.
|Extreme or Profound Hardship||Medical Hardship|
Click here for procedures and reasons for revocation of Choice Hardship.
Hillsborough County residents applying for Choice Hardship
Download application during open application periods for the 2017-2018 school year.
Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
Hillsborough County Public Schools’ adheres to the Florida State Constitution, Article IX, Section I, and therefore, class sizes are restricted.
- The maximum number of students who are assigned to each teacher who is teaching in public school classrooms for prekindergarten through grade 3 will not exceed 18 students.
- The maximum number of students who are assigned to each teacher who is teaching in public school classrooms for grades 4 through 8 will not exceed 22 students.
- The maximum number of students who are assigned to each teacher who is teaching in public school classrooms for grades 9 through 12 will not exceed 25 students.
Choice Hardship Documentation
To be considered for Choice Hardship documentation must be submitted with the application.
- On the application or a separate sheet of paper, state specific reasons why you are requesting choice hardship. Attach additional documentation.
- At the top of the page include your child's name, student ID number (lunch #) and school you are requesting.
- A Choice Hardship will not be reviewed if you apply to other schools.
- All applications MUST be signed by the child's parent or legal guardian to be processed.
- Attach your documentation with specific reasons why you are requesting choice hardship to the back of the application. Make sure you include the child's name, student ID number (lunch #) and school you are requesting. Applications should be submitted via U.S. Mail to: Office of Student Planning, Placement and Support Programs 901 E. Kennedy Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33602.
Note: Once a student is granted choice hardship to a school, families do not need to reapply for subsequent years at that school.