We are glad that you are interested in a Substitute Teacher position with our school district.
Substitute teachers provide a valuable service to our students and schools. They are "day-to-day" employees who can decide which days they want to work and in which schools they want to accept assignments. Since substitute teachers follow the school calendar, there
is no expectation of employment during school holidays, breaks, or during the summer months.
Substituting teaching often meets the needs of individuals changing careers or retirees looking for flexible and rewarding work. Many teachers begin their careers as substitute teachers, providing them an opportunity to get to know school staff and school culture prior to
accepting full-time teaching positions. Substitute teaching is also a great way to make employment contacts for positions which may become available in the future.
- Have a corded, touch-tone telephone with a local exchange. ("Local exchange" means we would not have to pay long distance phone charges to call you.)
- Live in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas or Polk County.
- Provide two acceptable references (on our reference form).
- Be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities of a substitute teacher.
- Have adequate and reliable transportation to get to jobs on time.
- Be available to accept jobs at the time the application is submitted.
- Work a minimum of four (4) jobs per month.
- Successfully complete the Substitute Teacher Training Program that is specified for your level of position. (Note: You will not be paid for this training.
The school district currently has THREE (3) levels of substitute teachers. Please note the special qualifications and requirements for each.
ALL substitute teacher applicants must have an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, an Associate of Science (AS) degree, or higher.
OR.... at least 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university.
- Level 2 (Moldered Sub) -- Transcripts must state that the Associate of Arts (AA) degree or Associate of Science (AS) degree has been conferred
OR show at least 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university.
The substitute may work district-wide. The substitute must successfully complete a 3-day Substitute Teacher Certification Program. The Sub Teacher Certification Program is provided through the district at no cost to you. Persons hired as substitutes will be given more information at
employee processing. Hourly Rate: $8.42
- Level 3 (Degreed Sub) -- Requires an official transcript showing a bachelor's degree or higher, a Florida educator's certificate, or a valid teachers certificate from another state. The substitute may work district-wide. The substitute must complete a 3-day Substitute
Teacher Certification Program. The Sub Teacher Certification Program is provided through the district at no cost to you. Persons hired as substitutes will be given more information at employee processing. Hourly Rate: $9.73
- Level 4 (Certified Sub) -- Holders of a 5 year Florida Professional Educator's Certificates or retired Hillsborough County district teachers. New hires or re-hires not active as a K-12 teacher over one (1) year are required to complete the Three (3) Day Sub Teacher
Training. Hourly Rate: $11.25 (PLEASE NOTE: Statements of Eligibility are NOT certificates.)
Visit the Documents page to download/view the online Application or, for more information about substitute teaching, please call the district's Substitute Teachers Office at 813-840-7183.