Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply for a Magnet School assignment for 2014-2015?
- Families living in Hillsborough County.
- All students entering kindergarten through ninth grade.
- Current 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students may apply for some high
school magnet programs.
Is there any advantage to applying early in the application period
for a magnet program?
No. Applications are not processed
on a first-come first-served basis. All elementary and middle
school magnet applications
received during the application period are entered into the
computer lottery. All magnet high school applications are
entered into a database
for each program. Parents or guardians may submit an application at any time during open application periods.
Is kindergarten part of the magnet program?
- Yes, kindergarten is included as part of the lottery. However, kindergarten students must be attended by an older sibling, who resides at the same address and who is assigned to the same bus in order to ride the bus each day.
How will families be notified if their child is selected for a magnet school?
- If your child is selected for a magnet school in the computerized lottery or high school selection process, families will receive an offer of enrollment by U.S. Mail.
- If your child is offered a seat at one of your choices, you must respond to the offer.
- Failure to accept the offer will result in losing the seat offered.
Is transportation provided for Magnet Schools?
- Transportation is provided to magnet themes. In some
cases, transportation may be limited or not available.
Transportation is not provided if you live within a two-mile walking
boundary of the school. Additionally, transportation is not provided
to Rampello K-8 School.
- Kindergarten students must be attended by an older sibling, who resides at the same address and who is assigned to the same bus in order to ride the bus each day.
Where can families go for additional assistance about Hillsborough Choice?
Can families apply to both Magnet and School Choice?
- Yes. However, if a student is selected via the lottery for both Magnet and School Choice a family must decide which option to accept.