HCPS Students Participate in PowHERful Summit
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (February 19, 2016) – Students from Hillsborough County Public Schools will participate in the PowHERful Summit which provides life skills, mentoring, and academic support to females ages 15-22 through the Soledad O’Brien Starfish Scholars Foundation.
The event is Saturday, February 20, from 8 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. at the University of South Florida CAMLS (Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation).
The all-day summit will provide these students with support to help them achieve their fullest potential. Students will attend five 60-minute sessions where they will hear from industry experts on STEM careers, workforce development, health and wellness, and financial literacy.
School Board member Susan Valdes reached out to students and principals about this opportunity and will participate firsthand along with the students from the district.
Following the event, participants will be kept connected to the foundation through follow-up surveys and bimonthly Google Hangout presentations.
- Full Service Centers provide support for families all year long.
- Students from Puerto Rico Thankful for Opportunities in HCPS
- College Opportunities Become a Reality for Students at Brandon EPIC 3 Center
- Governor's Shine Award honors veterans-turned-teachers
- New leadership club makes a splash at Pierce Middle School