HCPS magnet programs receive top honors
Magnet Schools of America (MSA) has recognized 21 Hillsborough County public magnet schools and programs as Magnet Schools of Excellence or Magnet Schools of Distinction. Magnet schools and programs are innovative, theme-based rigorous academic programs that offer students an opportunity to discover their talents and explore their interests. Themes range from animal science to engineering to the arts.
The Magnet School of Merit Awards recognize member magnet schools/programs that demonstrate a high commitment to academic standards, curriculum innovation, desegregation/diversity efforts, specialized teaching staffs, and parent and community involvement. The two categories of awards are:
- Magnet Schools of Excellence, the top category, is awarded to a group of select magnet schools; and
- Magnet Schools of Distinction, the second highest award of recognition, given to magnet schools that have met all the basic requirements outlined in the merit awards scoring rubric.
Magnet Schools of Excellence: Cahoon, Dunbar, Muller and Riverhills elementary magnet schools; Ferrell Girls Preparatory Academy, and Williams middle magnet schools; Roland Park K-8 Magnet School; and Middleton and Tampa Bay Technical high schools.
Magnet Schools of Distinction: Lee, Lincoln, Lomax, and MacFarlane elementary magnet schools; Dowdell, Franklin Boys Preparatory Academy, Progress Village, Stewart and Walker middle magnet schools; Rampello Downtown Partnership K-8 Magnet School; and Blake and Lennard high schools.
Our district offers magnet programs to students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Currently, HCPS has 10 elementary schools, 10 middle schools, 2 K-8 schools, and 11 high schools that offer magnet. For more information about magnet programs, visit www.sdhc.k12.fl.us and search “Go Magnet” for a complete list of programs and details.
- Full Service Centers provide support for families all year long.
- Students from Puerto Rico Thankful for Opportunities in HCPS
- College Opportunities Become a Reality for Students at Brandon EPIC 3 Center
- Governor's Shine Award honors veterans-turned-teachers
- New leadership club makes a splash at Pierce Middle School