Important message from Superintendent
As you may be aware, the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Justice have jointly released guidance to public school districts in the country regarding transgender students.
We are now in the process of reviewing the document. We are monitoring information coming from the U.S. Department of Education and recent federal court decisions involving this issue.
Hillsborough County Public Schools provide a safe and caring learning environment for all students. Currently, the needs of transgender students are addressed at their individual schools.
We currently have non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies which includes sexual orientation and gender identity.
School Board members have been concerned about the needs of transgender students for some time. As a result, senior staff attended a recent state-wide conference and training. The district has decided, even prior to this announcement, to develop district-wide procedures and training to address the needs of all students, including transgender students. The School Board and I, as Superintendent, expect that all students, regardless of who they are, are safe and receive a quality education.
Superintendent, Hillsborough County Public Schools
- Full Service Centers provide support for families all year long.
- Students from Puerto Rico Thankful for Opportunities in HCPS
- College Opportunities Become a Reality for Students at Brandon EPIC 3 Center
- Governor's Shine Award honors veterans-turned-teachers
- New leadership club makes a splash at Pierce Middle School