Important message from Superintendent
As you may be aware, the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Justice have jointly released guidance to public school districts in the country regarding transgender students.
We are now in the process of reviewing the document. We are monitoring information coming from the U.S. Department of Education and recent federal court decisions involving this issue.
Hillsborough County Public Schools provide a safe and caring learning environment for all students. Currently, the needs of transgender students are addressed at their individual schools.
We currently have non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies which includes sexual orientation and gender identity.
School Board members have been concerned about the needs of transgender students for some time. As a result, senior staff attended a recent state-wide conference and training. The district has decided, even prior to this announcement, to develop district-wide procedures and training to address the needs of all students, including transgender students. The School Board and I, as Superintendent, expect that all students, regardless of who they are, are safe and receive a quality education.
Superintendent, Hillsborough County Public Schools
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day
- Florida State Fair welcomes HCPS' African Americans in Film: Influencers of Stage and Screen Exhibit
- Alexander Elementary Earns 2017-2018 Ryan A. Raines Energy Conservation Award
- Board Members in the Community: February 20