For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (July 15, 2016) – The HOST Chess Nuts Society is hosting their Annual Chess Tournament on Wednesday, July 20, at Franklin Boys Preparatory Academy. The tournament and awards run from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the school’s gym. Franklin Boys Preparatory Academy is located at 3915 21st Avenue, Tampa.
More than 300 HOST students are expected to participate. Students, staff, and the Chess Committee have worked all year to prepare. HOST (Hillsborough County Public Schools Out-of-School Time Program) is designed to assist families with a safe, supervised environment before and after school hours. Hillsborough County Public Schools works to prepare students for life by providing for the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual growth and development which children need in order for them to be successful.
Research has shown students who play chess score higher on assessments because of the rigorous workout chess gives the brain. It can improve a child’s memory and their attention span, and teaches students how to evaluate their decision-making and learn to plan ahead.
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day
- Florida State Fair welcomes HCPS' African Americans in Film: Influencers of Stage and Screen Exhibit
- Alexander Elementary Earns 2017-2018 Ryan A. Raines Energy Conservation Award
- Board Members in the Community: February 20