Hillsborough Students Continue to Make Gains - More “A” Schools Now in the District
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (June 28, 2017) – The results of the 2016-2017 school grades, released Wednesday morning by the Florida Department of Education, demonstrate that Hillsborough County Public Schools administrators, teachers and support staff are dedicated to student success and advocate for every child.
Students in Hillsborough County Public Schools continue to make tremendous gains. Some of the highlights from the 2016-2017 school grades include:
• There are 51 traditional schools graded “A” in 2017, up by 10 from 2016
• In 2017, 38 traditional schools are graded “B”
• In 2017, 15 traditional schools improved their grade from a “D” to a “C”
• In 2017, there are again fewer "F" traditional schools, dropping to 3 from 7 in 2016
• In 2017, three traditional schools improved their grade from an “F” to a “C”
Seven of the district’s turnaround schools, as defined by the state, have improved and are now in a monitoring status. Just Elementary went from a “D” to a “B”, while Jennings and Van Buren Middle, and Gibsonton, Lockhart Magnet and Reddick Elementary Schools all went from a “D” to a “C”.
The district continues to reduce the number of “F” schools; from 18 three years ago, to seven last year and now three traditional schools. This means just 1% of the district’s traditional schools have a grade at the lowest level. Three schools, Dunbar, Miles and Shaw Elementary Schools made a jump from an “F” to a “C”.
Superintendent Jeff Eakins knows there is still more work to be done and is committed to supporting the efforts of our school staff as we all work to prepare students for life.
“We are committed to student success. The school grades show we are doing something significant in the way students are learning and how they are achieving. We have people in our schools who are creating the right culture in our schools, advocating for students and building relationships,” said Superintendent Jeff Eakins.
The 2016-17 school grades, district grades and school improvement ratings are now available at http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/.
- IncrediBULL Games an incredible experience for East Hillsborough athletes and volunteers
- Board Members in the Community: February 19-23
- Board Members in the Community: February 20-21
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day