Update for Schools Reopening On Monday, September 18
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (September 17, 2017) – School administrators, teachers and support staff look forward to welcoming students back as all Hillsborough County Public Schools reopen on Monday, September 18. Power has been restored at all schools. Since many of the systems were down for a week, district maintenance crews will continue to check the systems and will be on call Monday for any issues that occur.
As usual, Monday, September 18, will be an early release day for Hillsborough County Public Schools students. The district asks parents for patience for the first days back to school. Buses may be delayed because of detours and road closures due to the storm. Bus drivers will pick up and drop off students as close as possible to their usual bus stops.
There will be temporary changes to the lunch menu at schools, and food choices may be limited; however, students will still have high-quality, nutritious meals. The district's Student Nutrition Services team provided 34,000 meals per day to evacuees at more than 40 schools serving as shelters during Hurricane Irma.The district will be getting deliveries all week to replace the food used at those shelters and any food that is not usable because of power outages at some schools.
For athletics, practices can resume on Monday. Please check with individual schools for an updated sports schedule. The district will work with coaches to reschedule as many missed contests as possible.
After eleven days away, Monday may feel like the first day of school. Parents can help their children get ready to head back to class by:
- Getting students back into a regular school routine
- Making sure they know they are safe
- Letting them know there are people at school who they can talk with about their hurricane experiences
- Governor Rick Scott and First Lady Ann Scott Invite K-12 Students to Participate in 2018 Black History Month Contests
- Potter Eagles welcome community members to open house
- The New Tool Inspiring Activity and Learning at Lithia Springs
- Board Members in the Community: January 22-27
- A New Year and New Program Brings Opportunity for Future Firefighters