Happenings in the District
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (October 5, 2017) – The following events are happening in Hillsborough County Public Schools over the next week. Contact Tanya Arja in the Communications Office for more information.
- Friday, October 6, 2:45 p.m. – Faculty vs. Student Dodgeball Game and Fundraiser – Pierce Middle School - This was an idea created by the students as a fundraiser for Puerto Rico. All week, students have been collecting money during homeroom and at lunch to help support families in Puerto Rico affected by Hurricane Maria. The week will cap off with the dodgeball game in the gym. Pierce Middle School is located at 5511 N. Hesperides St., Tampa.
- Sunday, October 8, 8-11 a.m. – Hurricane Relief Donation Drive – Hammond Elementary School - Students, staff and families have spent the week collecting supplies for hurricane relief efforts for the recent storms. On Sunday, Hammond’s Caring Cubs will culminate their efforts with a drive-thru donation drop off. Donors can drive through the school’s rear entrance near the cafeteria where volunteers will receive the donations. Hammond Elementary School is located at 8008 N. Mobley Rd., Odessa.
- Monday, October 9, 2-4 p.m. – Family Fall Event – Just Full Service Center - This event is a follow up to a Regions Bank donation of hundreds of brand new socks and shoes to students in the area. Families from the full service center are invited to “shop” during this celebration. Just Full Service Center is located at 1315 W. Spruce Street, Tampa (adjacent to Just Elementary School).
- Tuesday, October 10, 10:30 a.m. – Character Playbook Live – Students from six different HCPS schools will participate in a virtual event with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and United Way Suncoast through Skype. A team of 10-12 students from Giunta, McLane, Memorial, Sligh, and Van Buren middle schools and Sulphur Springs K-8 will ask 1-2 questions and interact with Bucs players. The event will celebrate the importance of character development and healthy relationships utilizing video conferencing. The event will be at each school listed above.
- Tuesday, October 10, 1:45 p.m. – Random Acts of Kindness Big Reveal – Gorrie Elementary School – Students at Gorrie Elementary have been working on a goal to complete 5,000 random acts of kindness in 14 days. On Tuesday, they will reveal the final number and celebrate the power of positivity. A famous superhero will make a surprise visit, announcing the students as “kindness superheroes”. Gorrie Elementary is located at 705 Deleon St. Tampa.
- Saturday, October 14, 9-10 a.m. – Walk-to-Run Clinic – Ballast Point Elementary School - As part of the district’s Run for Health and Wellness campaign, School Board Member Lynn Gray hosts this clinic, beginning the training sessions for the 90 x 20, Go for the Gold Gasparilla Distance Classic run in February. This initiative supports the district’s strategic priority of increasing the graduation rate to 90% by the year 2020. The training will last one hour, followed by a half-hour “walk and talk” with member Gray. Ballast Point Elementary School is located at 2802 Ballast Point Blvd., Tampa.
- IncrediBULL Games an incredible experience for East Hillsborough athletes and volunteers
- Board Members in the Community: February 19-23
- Board Members in the Community: February 20-21
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day