Hillsborough County Public Schools Students and Staff Honor the Military in Veterans Day Events
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (November 8, 2017) – Students and staff in schools across Hillsborough County will recognize veterans and honor active duty military at several events this week. Please see the list below for just some of the activities planned.
- Thursday, November 9, 8 - 9:15 a.m. – Dickenson Elementary School, 4720 Kelly Rd., Tampa – The staff and students will recognize veterans with breakfast, followed by a patriotic program that will include songs, a Boy Scout color guard and a “mail call” for veterans in attendance.
- Thursday, November 9, 8:30 and 9:15 a.m. – Hammond Elementary School, 8008 N. Mobley Rd., Odessa – Retired Army Major General Mike Jones will speak at two student assemblies. Jones held a variety of roles, including Director of Operations and Chief of Staff for U.S. Central Command.
- Thursday, November 9, 8:30-10 a.m. – Dowdell Middle Magnet School, 1208 Wishing Well Way, Tampa – The Annual Veterans Day Celebration will bring students and staff from ClairMel Elementary to the gym at Dowdell Middle to join in on the celebration.
- Thursday, November 9, 8:30 a.m. – Claywell Elementary School, 4500 Northdale Blvd., Tampa – Students and staff will be honoring Floyd Skeins, the Claywell crossing guard who is a Korean War Veteran.
- Thursday, November 9, 8:15 a.m. – Nelson Elementary, 5413 Durant Rd., Dover – School-wide ceremony held in the courtyard with the Durant High School color guard, the school chorus and the playing of taps. In addition, the school will have a Veterans Day Wall of Honor set up in the multipurpose room, including the names of veterans that students are honoring along with a memory of their service.
- Thursday, November 9, 8 a.m. – Knights Elementary, 4815 N. Keene Rd., Plant City – The school is hosting a breakfast for veterans and their families. The program will also include 4th graders reciting the Preamble of the Constitution of the United States and the chorus singing patriotic songs.
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day
- Florida State Fair welcomes HCPS' African Americans in Film: Influencers of Stage and Screen Exhibit
- Alexander Elementary Earns 2017-2018 Ryan A. Raines Energy Conservation Award
- Board Members in the Community: February 20