Hillsborough County Public Schools Students and Staff Honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (January 12, 2018) – Hillsborough County Public Schools students and staff will celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on Monday, January 15, at various community events.
All schools and district offices will be closed on Monday, January 15, in observance of the federal holiday.
Please see below for just some of the events students will be participating in:
- 29th Annual City of Tampa Martin Luther King Day Parade – Monday, January 15, noon, begins at 15th St. and 21st Ave.
Students from Middleton High School and Blake High School’s bands will march in the parade, along with student groups from various other Hillsborough County schools.
- Plant City MLK Freedom Parade – Saturday, Jan. 13, 1-2:30 p.m., begins at the corner of Wheeler & MLK Blvd. downtown
Students from the Strawberry Crest, Durant and Plant City High School bands, Lincoln Elementary's Headstart program and Marshall Middle School's band will participate in the parade. Alumni from Plant City High School and Marshall Middle School will also be in the parade.
- Before Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Aric Almirola makes pit stop at Pierce Middle School
- Be The Change: Spoto High's Challenge Day
- Florida State Fair welcomes HCPS' African Americans in Film: Influencers of Stage and Screen Exhibit
- Alexander Elementary Earns 2017-2018 Ryan A. Raines Energy Conservation Award
- Board Members in the Community: February 20