Feeding Minds - Nourishing Communities
Sixty-three percent of Hillsborough County Public Schools is on free and reduced lunch, often for some students, during the school day, is the only food nourishment they receive.
Food insecurities often account for low attendance, poor grades and weak physical and mental health. According to the USDA, more than Forty-two million Americans live in food insecure households, including thirteen million children.
As a food retailer, Publix Super Market Charities has taken the opportunity to give back to our school communities with a generous donation to open eight school food pantries district-wide in Title 1 schools.
School Food Panty Location Free and Reduced Lunch Percentage
B.T. Washington Elementary 99.79%
Bing Elementary 97.13%
Dover Elementary 98.00%
Mort Elementary 97.18%
Potter Elementary 98.53%
Ruskin Elementary 93.40%
Van Buren Middle School 97.35%
Woodbridge Elementary 93.91%
Monday, February 19, 2018, at Ruskin Elementary School, marked the first of eight food pantries to officially open in Hillsborough County Public Schools that is completely sourced financially through Publix Super Market Charities and food obtained through Feeding Tampa Bay.
Click here to read more.View Full Album
- Exciting Opportunity for Teachers to Transform Lives
- Board Members in the Community: June 19-23
- School is out for Summer but the Need for Nutritious Meals Continues
- Board Members in the Community: June 12-13
- Joint Press Release - Hillsborough school district and teachers’ union reach tentative agreement including raises, bonuses, child care assistance, and other benefits