What is ATOSS?
Alternative To Out of School Suspension (ATOSS) is Hillsborough County’s suspension amnesty program for students who have been suspended from school as a consequence for inappropriate behavior. ATOSS is a voluntary program. This option provides behavioral and academic help for a period of one to ten days. Students who successfully complete the program will be counted in full attendance for their time in ATOSS, and they will have the opportunity to make up any work they missed upon retuning to school. They must make arrangements to make up their work with their teachers within three (3) days of returning to school. Their make-up work must be submitted by the deadline set by the teachers. Hillsborough County Public School’s Attendance Policy states in part, "a student suspended out-of-school will receive a grade of 'zero' for tests and/or graded work missed. If no test and/or graded work is missed, the student will receive a two-point grade reduction (on a 100 point scale) for each day."
There are currently 12 ATOSS sites dispersed throughout the county. For a list of sites and directions to all ATOSS sites, Click Here.
I have decided to go to ATOSS – What can I expect?
- Transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- ATOSS is available to students on a first come-first served basis.
- Students will not be permitted to attend the ATOSS program without the appropriate suspension letter and ATOSS packet from the assistant principal.
- Students that arrive at the ATOSS site after 7:50 a.m. will not be permitted to attend for the day.
- Students must bring paper and pencil.
- The dress code of Hillsborough County Schools will be enforced. Students who pay for lunch must provide the exact amount.
- School lunch may be purchased for the same price as at school, or a bag lunch is ok. Please be advised our facility is not equipped to heat or warm food for students.
- Seats will not be held for students who are excessively absent from the program.
Students who are sick should not be brought to ATOSS. (Clinic services are not available.)
Criteria for Successful Completion
- Parent must accompany students on the first day for registration and a brief orientation. Orientations begin at 7:15 a.m., 7:30 a.m., and 7:45 a.m.
- After the first day of ATOSS, students should report to the site between 7:15 a.m. and 7:50 a.m. Dismissal is at 2:25 p.m.
- Students must follow all ATOSS procedures.
- Students who are picked-up late will be subject to dismissal from the program.
Reminder: Students who are suspended from school must not be on any school campus, (other than the appropriate ATOSS site) nor attend any extracurricular events during their time of suspension. Any student who attempts to enter a campus will be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespassing.