External Administrative Selection Process
Target Audience: The target audience is any person with Educational Leadership Certification who would like to apply for Assistant Principal or Principal Vacancies in Hillsborough County Public Schools. This process is strictly for school based leadership positions.
Administrative Selection Application Timeline
To be considered for the Fall Administrative Selection Process, the Online Employment Application for external candidates must be submitted.
Steps in the Overall Process
- Application Review – Leadership Development, Human Resources and Professional Standards
- Administrative Screenings for Experienced Administrators (candidates with a minimum of 3 years of previous experience).
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance into Future Leaders Academy or the Administrative Pool
If you are employed outside of the HCPS district, have educational leadership on your State of Florida Teaching Certificate and you would like to apply for school administrative positions you must follow the steps listed.
Complete the Online Employment Application
- Either “Start” an application, or if you have applied to our district before, “Log In” to your existing account at the following website: https://www.applitrack.com/sdhc/onlineapp/_application.aspx?starting=true
- Within the application, on the “Position Desired” page, be sure to select “Administrative Pipeline Programs/School Site-Based Administrator”.
- The application calls for 2 leadership references to be named on the reference page and for you to upload your resume and most recent annual performance evaluation
Once you have completed the application, be sure to click “Finish and Submit”
To enter the school-based administrative pool, a candidate must participate in the HCPS Administrative Selection Process and successfully pass the screening.
In order to prepare, candidates should review the competency rubric, specifically the column titled FLA. Questions, reference forms, role plays will be based on these competencies.
Interviews and exit assessments will take place face-to-face for all candidates.
Candidates who have served as Assistant Principals or Principals for three years in another district are expected to go through the selection process but may be waived from the FLA program. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis based on previous experience and their ability to meet the competencies during the screening process.
For additional information or clarification about any step of the process, please contact:
Greg Basham, Supervisor of Hillsborough Principal Pipeline at (813) 272-4110
Tricia McManus, Asst. Superintendent of Educational Leadership at (813) 272-4877