Exceptional Student Education (Special Education)
Visual Impairments (VI): Blind and Partially Sighted
The Visually Impaired Program provides specialized instruction in all areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum to eligible students, age birth through twenty-two years. Special education services are provided by fully certified Teachers of the Visually Impaired (TVIs) in a variety of educational settings including consultative support, itinerant resource support, resource rooms, and self-contained classes in accordance with individual education plans, or individual family support plans. Orientation and mobility instruction is provided both on campus and in the community and is provided by certified Orientation and Mobility Specialists. The Visually Impaired Program works cooperatively with the Florida Division of Blind Services Tampa District Office and the Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind to ensure a seamless service delivery system to children and families in Hillsborough County.
- American Foundation for the Blind - The American Foundation for the Blind removes barriers, creates solutions, and expands possibilities so people with vision loss can achieve their full potential.
- FamilyConnect - On FamilyConnect you'll find videos, personal stories, events, news, and an online community that can offer tips and support from other parents of children who are blind or visually impaired.
- Florida Division of Blind Services - The Florida Division of Blind Services helps blind and visually impaired individuals achieve their goals and live their lives with as much independence and self-direction as possible.
- Florida Instructional Materials Center for the Visually Impaired (FIMC-VI) - The Florida Instructional Materials Center for the Visually Impaired (FIMC-VI) is a statewide resource center designed to assist schools in obtaining specialized materials for students with visual impairments.
- National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI) - The National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI) is a non-profit organization of, by and for parents committed to providing support to the parents of children who have visual impairments.
- Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind - Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind provides on-site comprehensive rehabilitation programs for persons who are blind or visually impaired in two locations in Florida.