Skip Navigation
Exceptional Student Education (Special Education)

Exceptional Student Education (Special Education)

Special Education Dispute Resolution

Dispute Resolution Logo

Parents of students with disabilities and school districts sometimes disagree as to what special education and related services are appropriate. Resolving differences or concerns in the least adversarial manner and closest to the school level is the best way. It is important to make your concerns known to your child’s teacher, and if unresolved, to the school’s administration. It is best to discuss your concerns and attempt to resolve them in an Individual Education Plan (IEP) meeting. Doing this allows for your concerns to be addressed in a timely manner that preserves relationships, and can result in better outcomes for the student as well as their family.

To support parents in this process, Hillsborough County Public Schools (HCPS) Exceptional Student Education Compliance and Staffing department provides resources and direct support to parents and schools when disagreements arise. Resources are available to assist you with understanding your rights as a parent of a student with disabilities and with answering any of your questions related to eligibility, identification, evaluation and/or placement.

While we encourage you to work with your child’s school directly to address any disagreements regarding your child’s special education and related services, HCPS has developed a system of supports for students with disabilities and their families.



(813) 273-7060

Search for School
Find a School
School Locator

Locate your attendance area school

School Locator