Help shape our future
Hillsborough County Public Schools is a growing, thriving district serving more than 215,000 students from diverse backgrounds, living in neighborhoods that span more than 1,000 square miles.
Our more than 24,000 employees are shaping the future of our community by delivering on our vision of Preparing Students for Life. As the 8th largest school district in the nation, our 235 traditional schools provide a variety of options for our families to choose from – providing the right educational fit for every child.
This past year, our district set another all-time graduation rate record of 85.8%. Our students earned more than 7,000 industry certifications, setting our students up for college and a successful career.
Our district is a state and national leader, with a number of recent honors and accomplishments, including:
- Hillsborough County Public Schools is proud to have the Florida Teacher of the Year, Dr. Dre Graham, as an educator in our district. This is the second time in five years the state Teacher of the Year was chosen from our district.
- One of our magnet schools, MacFarlane Park Elementary Magnet, was ranked as the #1 elementary magnet school in America.
- Hillsborough County Public Schools was named one of the nation’s Best Employers for New Grads by Forbes magazine, the only K-12 school district on the list.
- Hillsborough’s School Board was awarded the 2019 CUBE Annual Award for Urban School Board Excellence and the 2018 RISE Award for their commitment to ensuring an equitable education for all children.
- In November, voters approved a ten-year half-penny sales tax to support school maintenance and construction, sending a clear, bold signal that our community supports our public schools.
In June 2020, Superintendent Jeff Eakins will retire after 31 years in our district. Our School Board has hired Ray and Associates, a national leader in superintendent search processes, to assist us in finding the best candidate to serve our community and deliver outstanding results for our children.
As we embark on this exciting superintendent search, we are asking for your input. We want to know what leadership qualities, expertise and experiences matter most to you in a superintendent. The best way to provide your input is to complete a community survey or attend one of the four community forums held by Ray and Associates.
Our district is innovative and pushing toward the future, ensuring every child has the opportunities to be successful.
UPDATE: January 7, 2020
After a nationwide search, contacting more than 1,200 potential candidates in 48 states, the School Board of Hillsborough County has identified eight semifinalists for Superintendent of Hillsborough County Public Schools.
Experienced search firm Ray and Associates received 51 applications and identified 13 candidates to bring to the School Board for detailed discussion based on criteria set by the School Board with community input.
During a four-hour meeting on January 7, the School Board narrowed the 13 candidates to a list of eight semifinalists.
- Alexa Cunningham – superintendent, Salt Lake City, UT [Candidate Packet]
- Addison Davis – superintendent, Clay County, FL [Candidate Packet]
- Stephanie Elizalde – chief schools officer, Dallas, TX [Candidate Packet]
- Christopher Farkas – deputy superintendent, Hillsborough County, FL [Candidate Packet]
- Don Haddad – superintendent, Longmont, CO [Candidate Packet]
- Peter Licata – regional superintendent, Palm Beach County, FL [Candidate Packet]
- James McIntyre – university professor and former superintendent, Knoxville, TN [Candidate Packet]
- Harrison Peters – chief of schools, Hillsborough County, FL [Candidate Packet]
The School Board will interview the eight semifinalists during a special called School Board meeting on January 16 at 9 a.m. The meeting at 901 E. Kennedy Blvd. in Tampa will be open to the public, televised live on Hillsborough Schools TV and streamed live online at HillsboroughSchools.tv.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be in the range of $300,000 and include an excellent comprehensive benefits package. The final salary for the successful candidate will be negotiated and determined based upon proven experience, qualifications and meeting Board criteria
Please do not contact the School District directly.
All applications and other materials for this position are subject to the Florida Public Records Act and "Goverment in the Sunshine" provisions in Florida law. Applications and other materials cannot be held in confidence. All interviews will be conducted in public.
Deadline and Selection
After all applications have been reviewed and preliminary interviews conducted by the consulting firm, the names of the top candidates will be presented to the School Board for its consideration. Selection of the candidates for interviews is the sole responsibility of the Board. The names, applications and resumes of all applicants are subject to Florida's public information laws. Persons wishing to be considered for the position should submit an applicaiton file online including:
- A letter of application stating personal qualifications, experiences, and reasons for interest in the position.
- The online application form and resume.
- 3-4 current letters of recommendation.
Community Forum Dates
Bloomingdale High School
Valrico, FL 33596
Jefferson High School
Tampa, FL 33607
Gaither High School
Tampa, FL 33618
Middleton High School
Tampa, FL 33610