Shields Honored as SouthShore Chamber's School of the Month
Shields Middle School has been named the SouthShore Chamber of Commerce School of the Month.
Members of the Chamber and sponsors greeted students and staff on the school’s patio with cheers, a banner and balloons to celebrate the special recognition.
“Our schools do such amazing work throughout the campus and student body, and it’s very important to congratulate their accomplishments and inspire other educators to do the same,” said Carrie Elwell, SouthShore Chamber of Commerce Educational Partnership Committee Chair.
The Chamber selected Shields to honor staff and students for their many successes and accomplishments:
- Improved school grade with an 86-point increase
- 3 High Impact Teachers recognized by the State of Florida
- Largest AVID program in county with all three grades levels participating
- Accelerated math track for students to complete middle school with two high school credits in Algebra and Geometry
The Chamber presented the school with a commendation certificate from the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners, a framed certificate and the biggest surprise: a check for $1,000 – made possible through SouthShore Chamber of Commerce sponsorships.
“We are honored to receive this recognition as the SouthShore Chamber of Commerce School of the Month. Thank you for the donation and for seeing the greatest in our school,” said Shields Middle School Principal Tia Brown.
“Our schools are such an integral part of what makes our community such a special place to live and work,” Elwell said. “As the Educational Representatives of such a strong chamber, we believe it is important to share the accomplishments of our schools with our active and engaged members, and the community at large.”
The SouthShore Chamber of Commerce said there are many examples why Shields Middle School deserved to be selected as the School of the Month:
- 9 high school credit courses offered to students
- Club Day once a month
- 3 student-created murals
- Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS) School
- Quarterly PRIDE events to celebrate honor roll students
- Annual Family Thanksgiving Night Dinner
- Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations
- Tutorial programs offered before and after school, as well as Saturdays
- Student recognized by NASA for creating a space patch
- Students participate in the STEM Fair, one student placed first in his category
- Uniform school with colored shirts coordinated by grade level
- Band & Orchestra students participated and ranked Superior at District Competitions
- Students participated and placed in Math League at District Competitions
- Boys & Girls Club offers free programs before and after school and in the summer
- LIA (Latinos in Action) Program for Hispanic students to foster leadership, scholarship and mentorship – participants work with elementary feeder school
- 300 Club celebration: testing incentive for students who demonstrate 100% effort, attendance, and behavior during FSA testing
Check out Newsdesk next month to find out which school will be selected as the SouthShore Chamber of Commerce School of the Month for November.
To see the latest events happening at Shields Middle, follow the school on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HCPSShieldsMS.
For more information about Shields Middle School: http://shields.mysdhc.org/.