Veterans Honored at Events and Ceremonies in Hillsborough Schools
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (November 7, 2019) – Students and staff in Hillsborough County Public Schools will recognize veterans and honor active duty military on Friday, November 8, during Veterans Day events. In addition, all Hillsborough County Public Schools will be closed on Monday, November 11, in honor of Veterans Day.
Please see the events below for just some of the activities planned at schools:
- Friday, November 8, 7:40 a.m. – Mort Elementary – 1806 E. Bearss Ave., Tampa – Veterans Day Celebration. Media is invited to celebrate with the school as they recognize the life and history of our Veterans.
- Friday, November 8, 8-9:15 a.m. – Claywell Elementary – 4500 Northdale Blvd., Tampa – Veterans will attend an assembly to honor their service. Students will present about each branch of the military and will perform patriotic songs. Banners will be on display honoring veterans related to students and staff at the school.
- Friday, November 8, 8 a.m. – Nelson Elementary – 5413 Durant Rd., Dover – The school’s program will include the Durant High school color guard, Nelson chorus and the playing of Taps. The school’s Veterans Wall of Honor will be on display in the Multi-Purpose Room throughout the day. The wall is adorned with names and pictures of veterans the students have brought in to honor. Parents who attend the program will visit the display after the program and classes will come down throughout the day to visit the wall.
- Friday, November 8, 8 a.m. – Stowers Elementary – 13915 Barrington Stowers Drive, Lithia – The school is collecting new, unopened personal items to donate to the Baldomero Lopez State Veterans Nursing Home in Land O’Lakes. Students who have items to donate will parade through the school and drop off their items in the Multi-Purpose Room. The students will then gather on the covered playcourt where their classmates – who are Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts – will take part in a White Table Ceremony. Later, as part of Operation Patriot, the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office will pick up the donated items and deliver them to the nursing home on Veterans Day. The residents of the nursing home are veterans of World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and the Gulf War.
- Friday, November 8, 8:30 a.m. – Chiaramonte Elementary – 6001 S. Himes Ave., Tampa – The school has invited their active military parents and retired friends of Chiaramonte Elementary. The school’s Chorus will sing patriotic songs. The Robinson High School Orchestra will also entertain the crowd.