District celebrates bus safety poster contest winners
Each day millions of children ride the bus to and from school. To know and understand the safety rules helps to ensure that your child’s daily trip is safe and enjoyable.
In order to promote school bus safety awareness among students, parents, school officials, and communities - school districts across Florida and throughout the country will participate in the annual poster contest in observance of National School Bus Safety Week (NSBSW), October 19-23, 2015.
This year, more than 300 students from Hillsborough County participated in the competition and three posters were chosen to move on to the state competition. The artistic entries promoted this year’s safety theme, “Bully Free Zone”, and emphasized that on the bus and at the bus stop – just like anywhere else – bullying is not acceptable.
The district winners will be recognized by the School Board prior to National School Bus Safety Week and will receive a $100 gift card from the district's transportation department.
According to James Beekman, General Manager of Transportation,” Judging was difficult, simply because of the high level of artistic talent of our students. I was amazed on how these young kids could grasp the importance of safety and translate that to a comprehensive rendition which captures how precious our cargo really is.”
2015 District Poster Contest Winners:
Division #1 - Grades K-2
- 1st Place -- Shrey Gupta, Grade 2, MacFarlane Park, Teacher: Amy Hirst
Division #2 - Grades 3-5
- 1st Place -- Muthukumaran Kumarauel, Grade 3, Dickenson, Teacher: Angela Katz
Division #3 -- Grades 6-8
- 1st Place -- Deja Calhoun, Grade 8, Turkey Creek Middle, Teacher: Leah Beve
For more information about our finalists CLICK HERE.
To learn more about bus safety and routes with Hillsborough County Public Schools, visit Kids Day at the Tampa Convention Center, July 26th.
- Riverview High Student wins multiple weightlifting medals at Special Olympics competitions
- Operations Energy Conservation Spotlight
- Next Citizen Oversight Committee Meeting
- Why #WeAchieveTogether: Teacher Shannon Schoenrock
- Hillsborough Schools Proposal Creates Spark to Attract Teachers to our Highest Needs Schools