As Choice period reopens, Hillsborough celebrates 20 nationally recognized magnet schools
- Twenty Hillsborough County magnet schools recently celebrated national recognition from the Magnet Schools of America, earning their place on a list of the top magnet schools in the United States. The distinction honors schools that demonstrate a commitment to high academic standards, curriculum innovation, successful diversity efforts, specialized teaching staffs and high levels of parent and community involvement.
The news comes as Hillsborough Schools reopens its Choice application window, today through April 24.
Two schools received the Magnet School of Excellence Award:
- Dunbar Elementary Magnet School
- Riverhills Elementary Magnet School.
This top merit category is only awarded to a select group of magnet schools, according to Magnet Schools of America.
“The dedication among the magnet lead teachers at each of these award-winning schools as well as the hard work of the administrators, teachers, students and families is what is truly exceptional about these awards,” said Robert Cox, supervisor of magnet schools. “Earning this recognition is no easy feat, and we celebrate the commitment to excellence that each of the schools below have shown.”
There were 17 Magnet Schools of Distinction:
- Ferrell Middle Magnet Girls Preparatory Academy
- Franklin Middle Magnet Boys Preparatory Academy
- Jefferson High School
- Lee Elementary Magnet School
- Lincoln Elementary Magnet School
- Lockhart Elementary Magnet School
- MacFarlane Park Elementary Magnet School
- Middleton High School
- Muller Elementary Magnet School
- Philip K. Shore Elementary Magnet School
- Progress Village Middle Magnet School
- Roland Park K-8
- Sligh Middle Magnet School
- Stewart Middle Magnet School
- Tampa Bay Tech High School
- Walker Middle Magnet School
- Williams Middle Magnet School
- Young Middle Magnet School