For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (May 3, 2018) – The following exciting events are happening in Hillsborough County Public Schools over the next two weeks. Media coverage is welcome. Please contact the Communications Office for more information:
- Monday-Friday, May 7-11, all day – Teacher Appreciation Week – While our teachers should be celebrated every day, this is the official Teacher Appreciation Week where parents, administrators and the community celebrate the vital role our teachers play in student success. Schools throughout the district will have celebrations all week.
- Friday, May 11, 10 a.m.-noon – The Mark Dafeldecker Safety Patrol Picnic – Edward Medard Park, 6140 Turkey Creek Road. This event welcomes thousands of students who serve as safety patrols at their schools. It is a way to honor and thank them for keeping their schools safe. Students from schools that are part of the B.A.M. Urban Dance program, which was created in 2014 to improve student health and academic achievement, will perform a flash mob routine with choreography they learned throughout the year from VYB dance studio owner DeMario.
- Wednesday, May 16, 9 a.m. – Buckhorn Elementary Clap-Out – Graduating high school seniors who attended Buckhorn Elementary as young children will visit their elementary school for a Senior Clap-Out. Seniors will have breakfast and then, dressed in their caps and gowns, the soon-to-be graduates will walk through the halls as examples of success and perseverance as the current Buckhorn students line up to applaud them and send them on their way to graduation and beyond. Buckhorn Elementary is located at 2420 Buckhorn School Ct., Valrico
- Thursday, May 17, 3-5 p.m. – Farewell Event at MOSI Partnership School – Staff, parents and students will highlight those employees who have been at the school the entire 11 years it has been in operation. While the MOSI museum will remain open, the students and staff from the partnership school will move to other schools throughout the district. The students and staff will reminisce about the unique opportunities they had while a partnership school, including use of all the exhibits and sneak peeks at new exhibits, like The Amazing You and Kids in Charge. Students also learned from scientists and museum directors throughout the years. MOSI Partnership School is located at 4801 E. Fowler Ave., Suite 100, Tampa
- Friday, May 18, 9:30 a.m. – Collins Elementary Senior Clap-Out – Students who were the first Kindergarteners when the school opened in 2005-2006 are now graduating seniors. The seniors will don their caps and gowns as they walk through the halls getting high-fives and applause from current students. Media may want to check their archives for video from the school’s opening in 2005. Collins Elementary is located at 12424 Summerfield Blvd., Riverview
- Why #WeAchieveTogether: Community Volunteer Fred Hearns
- Armwood High School Hour of Code
- Bonnie Bresnyan - Excellence in Education for 32 years!
- Board Members in the Community: December 11-13
- Construction begins for new High School “TTT” which aims to relieve overcrowding in South Hillsborough County