Skip Navigation

Policy Manual

5461 - Biliteracy Seal

The Seal of Biliteracy is intended for all students who master standard academic English and any other language.  It is granted to any standard diploma seeking student upon graduation from high school who has met the criteria for biliteracy in a second language.  This includes students whose first language is English and are acquiring proficiency in a second language and for English Language Learners who are developing academic proficiency in their home language while mastering English.  The District will provide the Seal of Biliteracy to all students who earn it to place on the student’s diploma and transcript.

In order to qualify, the student must demonstrate proficiency in English and a World Language by meeting the following criteria.

Criteria for English

Completion of all English Language Arts requirements needed for a standard diploma, with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above in these courses and ONE of the following:

    A.  Pass the Florida Standards Assessment for English Language Arts (FSA-ELA) at the required level as determined by the State of Florida

    B.  Pass the Advanced Placement English exam with a score of 3 or above

    C.  Pass the ACCESS 2.0 (for ELL’s only) with a language proficiency of Level 5 or above

Criteria for a World Language

Students must complete 4 years of sequential high school World Language instruction attaining an overall grade point average of 3.0 or above in such courses AND demonstrate proficiency in one or more languages other than English through ONE of the following:

    A.  Attain a score of 3 or above in a World Language Advanced Placement (AP) exam, including American Sign Language.

    B.  Attain a score of 4 or above on the International Baccalaureate World Language examination.

    C.  Pass a World Language Cambridge Advanced International Certificate of Education.

    D.  Attain a score of 600 or above on a SAT II Subject Test in a language other than the student’s native language.

    E.  Provide transcripts from a school in a foreign country showing at least 4 years of Language Arts coursework other than English in grade 6 and beyond with an equivalent grade of B or higher.


F.S. 1001.41

Adopted - HCPS - June 29, 2016

Search for School
Find a School
School Locator

Locate your attendance area school

School Locator