- Instruction will be provided by speakers and/or teachers who are free from bias
- Instruction will be provided with fidelity and accuracy.
- Topics will be integrated into the K-12 curriculum for all students when appropriate.
- Elementary students (Grades K-5) will receive instruction in physical education for 60 minutes per week with a certified physical education teacher.
- Elementary Students (Grades K-5) will also receive an additional 90 minutes of physical education per week provided by the classroom teacher or Principal’s designee. Students will be engaged in moderate to vigorous physical activity for at least 30 consecutive minutes on any day during which physical education instruction is conducted.
- Middle Students (Grades 6-8) will receive 250 minutes of physical education each week. Students will be moderately to vigorously active for at least 50% of class time during most or all physical education classes.
- High Students (Grades 9-12) will be required to take at least one full credit of physical education with the integration or health, which is the Health Opportunities through Physical Education (HOPE) course. All students will be provided equal opportunity to participate in physical education classes. HCPS will make appropriate accommodations to allow for equitable participation for all students and will adapt classroom instruction and equipment as necessary.
- Student’s physical fitness will be evaluated through age appropriate fitness assessments for each student.
- Designate safe or preferred routes to schools
- Secure storage facilities for bicycles and helmets
- Instruct students on walking/bicycling safety
- Promote safe routes to students, staff, and parents
- Use crossing guards
- Use crosswalks on streets leading to schools
- Use walking school buses
- Create menus by Registered Dietitians, district chefs, and menu committees
- Post menus, with nutrient and allergen content on social media platforms
- Promote meal services and benefits to students and families
- Provide meals that are appealing and attractive to children
- Follow all safety protocols as established by HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) for the storage, preparation, and service of foods
- All schools will offer breakfast that will be scheduled to provide at least 10 minutes for students to eat. Alternative breakfast serving models to include Breakfast in the Classroom and Second Chance Breakfast are encouraged in order to give all students the opportunity to start their day with a healthy meal.
- If a student arrives at school on the school bus less than 15 minutes before the first bell rings, the school must allow the student at least 15 minutes to eat breakfast as required by Florida State Statute 595.405(5).
- Schools will accommodate tardy students with a breakfast.
- Lunch periods will be scheduled between the times of 10:00 and 2:00 and provide students with the opportunity for at least 20 minutes to eat, beginning from the time the student has received their meal.
- Schools will eliminate any stigma attached to those students who are eligible for free and reduced priced school meals. Overt identification of students is prohibited.
|School Type||Maximum Number of School Days to Conduct Exempted Fundraisers|
|Elementary Schools||5 Days/Year per school|
|Middle Schools||10 Days/Year per school|
|High Schools||15 Days/Year per school|
|K-8 Schools||10 Days/Year per school|
- Class parties and/or celebrations will be held after the lunch period. Schools will limit "food-based” celebrations (e.g. provided by parents) to no more than one party per class per month
- School sponsored "food-based” celebrations (e.g. provided by site administrators) can be offered as student incentives and may be held at the discretion of school administration at any time during the day.
- Class celebratory food brought by parents or food provided by administrators for student incentives must be pre¬packaged and factory ¬sealed, with the ingredient label visible on the individual/original packaging.
- Foods and beverages will not be used as a reward, or withheld as punishment for any reason.